Combination wrenches, also known as spanners, are essential tools for any toolbox. They feature an open-end wrench on one end and a box-end wrench on the other, offering versatility and convenience. The best combination wrenches are made from high-quality materials, have precise sizing, and offer a comfortable grip.
When it comes to combination wrenches, finding the right set for your needs can make all the difference in your work. Whether you're a professional mechanic or a DIY enthusiast, a high-quality set of combination wrenches is essential for most repair and maintenance tasks. With countless options available on the market, we've put together a comprehensive review of the best combination wrenches of 2023 to help you make an informed decision.
Types of Combination Wrenches
There are three primary types of combination wrenches:
- Standard Combination Wrenches: These are the most common type, featuring a 12-point box end and an open end. They're suitable for most applications.
- Ratcheting Combination Wrenches: These have a ratcheting mechanism in the box end, allowing for faster and more efficient tightening or loosening of fasteners without removing the wrench from the fastener.
- Flex Head Combination Wrenches: These feature a flexible joint between the handle and the box end, allowing for improved access to tight spaces and better maneuverability.
Top Combination Wrenches of 2023
1. GearWrench 9416 16-Piece Metric Master Ratcheting Wrench Set
- Surface Drive technology for increased torque
- Ratcheting box-end for quick fastener removal
- Durable construction
- Lifetime warranty
- Higher price point
The GearWrench 9416 is a premium combination wrench set that offers a ratcheting box-end, making it an excellent choice for professionals and serious DIYers. The ratcheting feature provides ease of use and efficiency by allowing you to remove fasteners without removing the wrench from the bolt. Each wrench features Surface Drive technology, which improves grip and reduces the risk of rounding off fasteners.
These wrenches are constructed from chrome vanadium steel for strength, durability, and corrosion resistance. The set includes 16 metric wrenches ranging from 8mm to 24mm, with a slim profile for easy access in tight spaces. GearWrench backs this set with a lifetime warranty, making it a solid long-term investment.
2. Craftsman 20-Piece Ratcheting Wrench Set
- Affordable price
- Ratcheting box-end
- Full-polish finish for easy cleaning
- Limited lifetime warranty
- May not be as durable as higher-end sets
Craftsman's 20-Piece Ratcheting Wrench Set offers an affordable option for those who need a dependable set of combination wrenches. This set includes both SAE and metric sizes, making it versatile for various applications. The ratcheting box-end allows for quick and efficient fastener removal.
The wrenches are made from alloy steel and feature a full-polish finish for easy cleaning. While they may not be as durable as some higher-end sets, the limited lifetime warranty offers peace of mind and protection against defects in materials or workmanship.
3. Tekton 90191 Combination Wrench Set
- 30-piece set with both SAE and metric sizes
- 12-point box-end for improved fastener grip
- Made from chrome vanadium steel
- Roll-up storage pouch included
- No ratcheting feature on the box-end
The Tekton 90191 Combination Wrench Set is a comprehensive 30-piece set that includes both SAE and metric sizes. Each wrench is made from chrome vanadium steel for strength and durability, with a 12-point box-end for improved grip on fasteners.
While this set doesn't offer a ratcheting feature on the box-end, its wide range of sizes and high-quality construction make it a reliable choice for any toolbox. The wrenches come in a roll-up storage pouch, making it easy to keep them organized and transportable.
4. Klein Tools 68400 Combination Wrench Set
- Compact 7-piece set
- High-quality chrome vanadium steel construction
- 15-degree offset on the box-end
- Made in the USA
- Limited size range
- Higher price per wrench
Klein Tools 68400 Combination Wrench Set is a compact, high-quality option for those who don't need a large set of wrenches. This 7-piece set is made in the USA and features chrome vanadium steel construction for durability and corrosion resistance.
The box-end of each wrench has a 15-degree offset, providing better access and clearance in tight spaces. While this set has a limited size range and a higher price per wrench, its quality construction and compact size make it a great addition toany toolbox, especially for those who prioritize American-made tools.
5. Husky 28CW002NC 28-Piece SAE and Metric Combination Wrench Set
- Affordable 28-piece set
- Includes both SAE and metric sizes
- Chrome vanadium steel construction
- Lifetime warranty
- No ratcheting feature on the box-end
- Some users report sizing inconsistencies
The Husky 28CW002NC Combination Wrench Set is an affordable option for those who need a wide range of sizes without breaking the bank. This 28-piece set includes both SAE and metric sizes, making it versatile for various applications.
The wrenches are made from chrome vanadium steel for durability and corrosion resistance. While this set doesn't offer a ratcheting feature on the box-end, its affordability and lifetime warranty make it an attractive choice for many users. Keep in mind, some users have reported sizing inconsistencies, so double-check the fit before using the wrenches.
When selecting the best combination wrench set for your needs, consider the following factors:
- Quality: High-quality materials, such as chrome vanadium steel or chrome molybdenum, ensure that your wrenches will be durable, strong, and resistant to corrosion.
- Size Range: Consider the range of sizes included in the set. Choose a set with both SAE and metric sizes for maximum versatility. If you only need a few specific sizes, a smaller set may be more suitable.
- Ratcheting vs. Non-Ratcheting: Ratcheting box-ends allow for quicker and more efficient fastener removal, but they may be more expensive. Non-ratcheting wrenches can still get the job done, but may require more effort and time.
- Warranty: Look for wrench sets with a warranty, which can offer peace of mind and protection against defects in materials or workmanship.
- Price: Determine your budget and choose a set that offers the best combination of quality, features, and value for your needs.
Q: Should I choose a 6-point or 12-point combination wrench?
A: A 6-point wrench offers a stronger grip and reduces the risk of rounding, while a 12-point wrench provides better contact and easier positioning.Consider the types of fasteners you'll be working with and your personal preferences when choosing between the two.
Q: Are ratcheting combination wrenches worth the extra cost?
A: Ratcheting combination wrenches can save time and effort when working with fasteners, especially in tight spaces. If you frequently work on projects requiring the use of wrenches, the extra cost may be worth it for the added convenience and efficiency.
Q: Can I use a combination wrench with a torque wrench?
A: While it's technically possible to use a combination wrench with a torque wrench, it's not recommended. Torque wrenches are specifically designed to apply precise amounts of force to fasteners, and using a combination wrench may lead to inaccurate torque readings and potential damage to the fastener.
After reviewing the top combination wrenches of 2023, the GearWrench 9416 16-Piece Metric Master Ratcheting Wrench Set stands out as the best overall option due to its ratcheting box-end, Surface Drive technology, and durable construction.
For those on a budget, the Craftsman 20-Piece Ratcheting Wrench Set is an affordable alternative that still offers a ratcheting box-end and a limited lifetime warranty. The Tekton 90191 Combination Wrench Set is another excellent choice for those who need a comprehensive set of both SAE and metric sizes.
Ultimately, the best combination wrench set for you will depend on your specific needs, preferences, and budget. Keep the factors outlined in the buyer's guide in mind as you consider your options, and you're sure to find a set that will serve you well for years to come.