When it comes to security, convenience, and energy efficiency, a high-quality door closer is a must-have. This mechanism ensures your doors close smoothly and automatically after each opening, reducing energy loss and enhancing security. In 2023, the market is flooded with a wide range of door closers, each with its unique features and capabilities. This article reviews the top door closers of 2023, helping you make an informed decision.
Key Features to Consider
- Size and Weight Capacity: The size and weight of your door will determine the power size of the door closer you need. Power sizes typically range from 1 to 6, with size 1 designed for lightweight doors and size 6 for the heaviest doors. Most residential doors will require a power size between 2 to 4, while larger commercial doors may need a size 5 or 6.
- Material: A good door closer should be made from robust and durable materials. Common materials include aluminum, steel, or stainless steel. These materials are known for their durability, strength, and resistance to rust and corrosion.
- Installation Type: There are three main types of door closers: surface-mounted, concealed in frame, and concealed in door. Surface-mounted is the most common and easiest to install, whereas concealed models offer a more aesthetic look but require more effort in installation.
- Adjustment Features: Look for door closers with adjustment settings for closing speed and latching speed. This allows you to control the speed at which your door closes, preventing it from slamming shut or taking too long to close.
- Fire Rating: In commercial buildings, door closers may need to be fire-rated. This means they have been tested and approved to keep a fire door shut in the event of a fire, preventing the spread of fire and smoke.
- Compliance: Ensure the door closer you choose complies with the local building codes and standards. In the U.S, look for models compliant with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), which requires doors to be easily operable and accessible.
Types of Door Closers
- Manual Door Closers: These are the most common types and require someone to manually open the door. They then close the door automatically after it has been opened.
- Automatic Door Closers: These door closers use electricity to open and close the door. They are commonly used in commercial buildings and are ideal for people with mobility issues.
- ADA Compliant Door Closers: These door closers are designed to meet the requirements of the ADA. They are easier to open than standard models, making them ideal for people with disabilities.
1. Norton 1601 Adjustable Door Closer
The Norton 1601 is an impressive tool that stands tall in the crowd. It's designed for commercial applications and comes with adjustable closing force, allowing you to set the closing speed to your preference. The Norton 1601 is versatile, compatible with a range of door sizes and types. Its sturdiness is its selling point, as it's made with durable materials to withstand heavy-duty usage.
- Adjustable closing force
- Durable and sturdy
- Versatile and suitable for a variety of doors
- Might be overkill for residential use
- Installation can be challenging for beginners
2. Lawrence Hardware Commercial Door Closer
The Lawrence Hardware Commercial Door Closer brings you the best of functionality and aesthetics. It features a sleek design that doesn't compromise on performance. The Lawrence door closer comes with six adjustment levels, providing control over the closing and latching speed. It's ADA compliant and suitable for heavy-duty commercial use.
- Sleek design
- Six adjustment levels
- ADA compliant
- The instructions could be clearer
- Not ideal for lightweight doors
3. Tell Manufacturing Grade 1 Door Closer
The Tell Manufacturing Grade 1 Door Closer is a commercial-grade door closer that offers excellent value for money. It complies with ANSI Grade 1 standards and is very durable. It's easy to install and comes with a backcheck feature that prevents the door from slamming against the wall.
- Excellent value for money
- ANSI Grade 1 compliant
- Backcheck feature
- It might be too powerful for lightweight doors
- Requires precise installation
4. Dynasty Hardware 3000-ALUM Commercial Grade Door Closer
The Dynasty Hardware 3000-ALUM is a door closer that's known for its strength and quality. It's built to last, with a commercial-grade aluminum body. It features two independent valves for adjusting the closing and latching speeds. This door closer is ADA Compliant and comes with a full cover for extra protection.
- Durable and strong
- Two independent adjustment valves
- ADA Compliant
- Not suitable for residential use
- Instructions could be more detailed
5. Global Door Controls Commercial Door Closer
The Global Door Controls Commercial Door Closer is a compact, yet powerful device. Despite its size, it's designed to handle heavy doors. It's fully adjustable, enabling you to set the closing and latching speeds to your liking. Its aluminum construction ensures durability, and it's compliant with ANSI Grade 1 standards.
- Compact and powerful
- Fully adjustable
- ANSI Grade 1 compliant
- Not ideal for light doors
- The installation process could be easier
The door closers listed above are some of the best on the market in 2023, each offering unique features and benefits. When choosing a door closer, consider the type and weight of your door, as well as the level of traffic it handles. Also, consider whether you prefer a more robust commercial-grade closer or a simpler, residential-grade one. With the right door closer, you can enhance the security, energy efficiency, and convenience of your property.