Electric pole saws are a favorite for homeowners and professionals alike due to their ease of use, versatility, and efficiency. They are ideal for pruning branches, trimming trees, and other garden maintenance tasks. This guide reviews the best electric pole saws of 2023, examining features such as cutting performance, ease of use, durability, and value for money.
Why Choose an Electric Pole Saw?
- Easy to Use: Electric pole saws are generally lighter than their gas counterparts. They're also easier to start — just plug in and go.
- Quiet Operation: Unlike gas-powered saws, electric pole saws produce less noise, making them neighborhood-friendly.
- Environmentally Friendly: Electric pole saws don't emit harmful fumes, making them a greener choice.
- Low Maintenance: Without the need for oil changes or spark plug replacements, maintaining an electric pole saw is straightforward.
However, they do have a limitation — the length of the power cord restricts the operating range.
Key Features to Look For
- Power: Measured in amps, the power of an electric pole saw determines its cutting ability. Most residential models range from 6 to 10 amps. Higher power models can handle thicker branches and faster cutting.
- Pole Length: The pole length determines how high you can reach. Some poles are extendable, while others are fixed. A good range for home use is between 8 and 12 feet.
- Saw Length: The saw length (or bar length) affects the maximum diameter that the saw can cut. An 8-inch bar is common and suitable for branches up to 7 inches in diameter.
- Weight: Weight is a critical factor, as you'll be lifting the saw overhead. Lighter models will be easier to handle, especially for extended periods.
- Automatic Oiling: An automatic oiling feature lubricates the chain, reducing wear and tear and ensuring smoother operation.
Top Electric Pole Saws for 2023
1. Black+Decker LPP120B
The Black+Decker LPP120B is a convenient, lightweight, and easy-to-handle pole saw. It features a 20V MAX lithium-ion battery that provides long-lasting performance and is capable of making up to 100 cuts of 1-1/2-inch pine branches per charge. The 8-inch cutting bar and chain allow for a maximum cutting diameter of 6 inches. The extendable pole gives you a reach of up to 14 feet, which makes it ideal for trimming overhead branches.
For most homeowners needing occasional pruning of small to medium trees and shrubs, the Black+Decker LPP120B 20V MAX Lithium-Ion Pole Pruning Saw provides a versatile, lightweight, and affordable solution. Its powerful reciprocating action delivers fast cutting through branches up to 2 inches thick, while the long adjustable telescoping pole reaches heights up to 8 feet. Factor in the included battery and charger, and it stands as a worthwhile investment over basic pole pruners or ladders for safer, easier yard maintenance tasks.
- Lightweight and easy to handle
- Long-lasting battery life
- Excellent reach
- Not suitable for heavy-duty tasks
2. Greenworks PRO 80V 10” Brushless Pole Saw
The Greenworks PRO 80V is a powerful and versatile electric pole saw. It features a 10” bar and chain, making it capable of handling thicker branches. The brushless motor delivers high performance, equivalent to a 32cc gas engine. It also features an automatic oiler to keep the chain lubricated, ensuring smooth operation and extending the lifetime of the unit. The pole is extendable up to 9 feet.
For pros tackling trees of all sizes every day, the Greenworks PRO 80V 10" Brushless Pole Saw offers a combination of power, performance and usability that finally brings an electric solution on par with gas. Eliminating fuel, emissions, noise and maintenance is a huge advantage- not to mention 80V efficiency. As an investment, it pays for itself through low operating costs and years of heavy-duty use. Overall, it presents a very compelling option for serious tree care contractors and facilities.
- High power output
- Automatic oiler for easy maintenance
- Good for heavy-duty tasks
- Slightly heavier than other models
3. Sun Joe SWJ800E
The Sun Joe SWJ800E is a budget-friendly option that doesn't compromise on performance. It features a powerful 6.5-amp motor that can cut branches up to 7.5 inches thick. The telescopic pole extends up to 8.7 feet, providing up to 15 feet of overhead reach. An automatic oiler ensures continuous lubrication of the bar and chain.
For occasional light-duty pruning of medium-height trees and shrubs around the average home or garden, the Sun Joe SWJ800E provides a practical, affordable solution. Homeowners gain an electric chain saw alternative with safe, worry-free overhead reach via the versatile telescoping pole - all for a very reasonable investment. It makes quick work of small maintenance jobs that a ladder can’t access.
- Powerful motor
- Automatic oiler for easy maintenance
- Lower reach compared to some other models
4. WORX WG323
The WORX WG323 is a 2-in-1 tool that serves as both a chainsaw and pole saw. It features a 10-inch bar and chain and is powered by a 20V battery. The pole extends up to 10 feet, providing ample reach for most trimming tasks. It also features an automatic tension system that prevents over-tightening and maintains proper tension during operation.
The WORX WG323 offers a versatile, easy-to-use cordless solution for homeowners' occasional pruning needs up high trees. With its adjustable telescoping pole, balanced design and inclusion of batteries/charger, it eliminates extension cords while providing safe, productive cutting reach up to 16 feet. With adequate but not overwhelming power, it's a low-maintenance, hassle-free investment for light residential tree maintenance tasks.
- 2-in-1 functionality
- Automatic tension system
- Good reach
- Battery life could be better
5. Ryobi One+ 8 in. 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Pole Saw
The Ryobi One+ is a compact and lightweight pole saw with a decent performance. It comes with an 8-inch bar and chain and runs on an 18V lithium-ion battery. The pole extends up to 9.5 feet, and the unit also features an automatic oiler for easy maintenance. The Ryobi One+ is a part of Ryobi's One+ system, meaning the battery is interchangeable with other Ryobi One+ tools.
In summary, the Ryobi One+ 18V Cordless Pole Saw offers a low-maintenance solution ideal for occasional light-duty pruning needs around the average home landscape. Cordless convenience avoids extension cords while powered by a ubiquitous battery system. It handles typical small tasks efficiently for a reasonable investment.
- Lightweight and compact
- Part of the Ryobi One+ system
- Automatic oiler
- Not as powerful as some other models
An electric pole saw is a versatile and essential tool for homeowners who need to keep their trees in check. Remember to consider the saw's power, pole length, saw length, weight, and features like automatic oiling when making your choice. The top 2023 models from Sun Joe, BLACK+DECKER, WORX, Greenworks, and Remington offer a wide range of options to suit different needs and budgets.