Wood chippers are invaluable tools for maintaining the cleanliness of yards and gardens, aiding in composting, and reducing the volume of yard waste. They break down branches, leaves, and other organic debris into small, manageable pieces.
In 2023, the market is replete with a plethora of wood chippers that have their unique features, advantages, and shortcomings. This review will cover some of the best wood chippers of 2023, examining their performance, durability, ease of use, and safety features.
Different Types of Wood Chippers
There are three main types of wood chippers: gas-powered, electric, and PTO (Power Take Off) chippers.
Gas-Powered Wood Chippers: These are the most powerful and can handle larger branches. They are also portable, allowing you to move them around your property easily, but they require more maintenance and are louder than electric models.
Electric Wood Chippers: These are smaller, quieter, and perfect for light-duty tasks. They require less maintenance but need to be close to a power source and may not be powerful enough for larger jobs.
PTO Wood Chippers: These are designed to be attached to tractors. They are ideal for large properties or commercial use and can handle large branches, but they require a tractor with a compatible PTO.
Key Considerations When Buying a Wood Chipper
- Power and Size of the Wood Chipper: The power of a wood chipper is typically measured in horsepower (HP). The higher the horsepower, the more powerful the machine. A chipper with higher horsepower can handle larger diameter branches and other tougher materials. Consider the kind of work you will be doing and choose a machine with suitable power.
- Capacity: The capacity of a wood chipper refers to the maximum diameter of the branch that the machine can handle. Bigger is not always better. If you don't have large trees, a machine with a smaller capacity could be more efficient and cost-effective.
- Shredding Mechanism: Wood chippers use different mechanisms to shred wood: disc, drum, or screw. Disc and drum chippers use blades, while screw (or spiral) chippers use a ridged screw-like mechanism. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages in terms of speed, power, and the fineness of the chips produced.
- Portability: Consider how easy it is to move the chipper around your property. Some models come with wheels, while others may require a vehicle or tractor to tow them.
- Safety Features: Look for features like automatic shutoff, safety hopper, and locking mechanisms. These can help prevent accidents and make the machine safer to operate.
- Noise Level: Wood chippers can be loud. If you live in a residential area, you may want to consider the noise level of the machine. Electric models are usually quieter than gas models.
- Maintenance: Gas-powered chippers typically require more maintenance than electric ones. Consider the cost and effort of maintaining the machine over time.
Top Wood Chippers Recommendations
Here are some top-rated wood chippers to consider.
1. SuperHandy Wood Chipper Shredder Mulcher
The SuperHandy Wood Chipper is a top-of-the-line product that offers unparalleled performance. It can handle branches up to 3 inches in diameter with its powerful 7HP 212cc engine. The chipper's design is robust and solid, ensuring it will last for many years.
The SuperHandy chipper operates at a speed of 3600 rotations per minute (RPM), making it a beast at chipping wood. Its reduction ratio of 15:1 ensures that it will efficiently reduce your yard waste. The chipper also features a 3-in-1 design with a top hopper for volume chipping, a side chute for small branches, and a back vacuum inlet for leaves and other small debris.
2. Earthquake Tazz K33 Chipper Shredder
The Earthquake Tazz K33 Chipper Shredder is another exceptional machine. Powered by a reliable Viper engine with 301cc power, it can chip branches up to 3 inches in diameter. The chipper has a reduction ratio of 20:1, meaning it can compact a significant amount of yard waste into a small amount of chips.
The Tazz K33 is compact and lightweight (only 121 lbs), making it easy to maneuver around your yard. It also has a convenient debris bag with a Bottom-Out zipper and Dock-and-Lock bag connector for easy disposal of chips.
3. Patriot Products CSV-3100B
Patriot Products CSV-3100B is a versatile and powerful wood chipper that delivers impressive performance. It is powered by a Briggs & Stratton engine with 10 HP, capable of chipping branches up to 3 inches in diameter.
The CSV-3100B stands out with its unique side-discharge system, which allows you to work in one place without moving the chipper. The machine is also relatively quiet, reducing the noise pollution typically associated with chippers.
4. Sun Joe CJ603E
The Sun Joe CJ603E is an electric wood chipper and shredder that offers the convenience of a plug-and-play model. It features a 15-amp motor that can chip and shred branches up to 1.73 inches in diameter.
The CJ603E is lightweight and portable, making it perfect for small to medium-sized yards. It has a safety hopper locking knob, which prevents the motor from operating when opened.
5. YardMax YW7565
The YardMax YW7565 is a gas-powered chipper shredder that can handle branches up to 3 inches in diameter. Its 6.5HP 208cc engine provides ample power for most yard cleanup tasks.
The YW7565 features a self-feeding chute and an easy-to-use handle, making it user-friendly for homeowners. The solid steel construction ensures durability and longevity.
6. GreatCircleUSA 7HP Heavy Duty 212cc Gas Powered
This GreatCircleUSA model is a 3-in-1 unit that can function as a wood chipper, a shredder, and a mulcher. Its 7HP 212cc engine can chip branches up to 3 inches in diameter.
The unit features a top-loading hopper for leaves and other small debris, a side chute for branches, and a back vacuum kit for easy cleanup. It also has a robust steel frame that ensures durability.
Selecting the best wood chipper for your needs relies on the size of your yard, the volume and type of debris you need to handle, your budget, and your personal preferences.
The SuperHandy Wood Chipper offers superb power and performance, making it an excellent choice for large yards and heavy-duty tasks. The Earthquake Tazz K33 Chipper Shredder stands out for its compact and lightweight design, and the Patriot Products CSV-3100B offers a unique side-discharge system.
For those who prefer electric models, the Sun Joe CJ603E offers convenience and adequate power for small to medium tasks. The GreatCircleUSA 7HP model is a versatile 3-in-1 unit, while the YardMax YW7565 stands out for its user-friendly design and solid construction.
Remember, safety should always be a priority when using these machines, so always read and follow the manufacturer's instructions.