Slot Cutting Router Bits
Slot Cutting Router Bits Buying Guide
Slot-cutting bits are used much like saws, creating small grooves and slots for joinery and biscuits. You can cut slots on the table saw, but doing them on the router table with a slot cutter has some definite advantages. For one thing, you’ll get perfect flat-bottomed cuts, something not all saw blades can do. And, because they cut horizontally, creating slots in the edges of extremely wide stock is far easier and safer than attempting to balance the same workpiece vertically against the fence on your table saw.
You can also buy slot cutters in a variety of thicknesses — usually 1/16" to 1/4" — and in versions with and without guide bearings. As with rabbeting bits, some slot cutters come with a set of different-sized bearings to adjust the slot depth. Slot cutters typically come with either three or four cutting edges or “wings.”
However, some newer slot cutters use a pair of two-wing cutters that stack atop one another on the shank, using thin shims to adjust slot width the way a set of dado blades does. A slot-cutting bit can also be used to turn your router table into a biscuit joiner. In fact, some manufacturers sell cutters specifically sized to commonly available biscuits.
Types of Slot Cutting Router Bits
- Cut slots or kerfs: 2 flute, carbide tipped with totally enclosed ball bearing guide. For use in cutting slots (kerfs). these bits are designed for precision biscuit joinery. Also use for shiplap joints, tongue and groove joints, T‑moldings, rabbeting, etc.
- 3 Wing Slot Cutter Router Bits: Three wing carbide tipped with 8mm (approximately 5/16") bore, and 1‑7/8" large diameter. Cuts 1/2" deep when used with our arbor and bearing. To reduce depth of cut use larger bearings (see the chart below).
- Top Mounted Bearing Slot Cutter Router Bits: 2 flute, carbide tipped with totally enclosed ball bearing guide. The top mounted bearing is ideal for cleaning out old tongue and groove flooring and for applications where a standard bottom bearing on a slot cutter is in the way. Also great for cutting T‑slots, or small, slat wall type grooves.
- Stackable Slot Cutter Set: Simply adjust the arrangement of the cutters and shims on the 1/2" arbor to create a wide variety of groove sizes for dadoes, tongue and groove joints, rabbets, or biscuit joints.
- T-Slot router bits: Offered in three popular sizes, these T-Slot router bits are handy for making slot walls for your shop that work with standard size bolts. Making custom fixtures or wall display units with these premium quality router bits has never been easier. Add washers for extra strength and hang brackets like those found on professional wall display units.