A bench vise is an essential tool for any workshop, whether it's a professional setting or a DIY enthusiast's garage. Among the variety of brands and models available on the market, the Wilton 11128BH Bench Vise stands out as a remarkable choice due to its durability, precision, and versatility. This review and buying guide will offer an in-depth look at this product, discussing its features, specifications, pros, cons, and how it compares with other vises on the market.
The Wilton 11128BH Bench Vise is a 6.5-inch tool designed to offer a reliable, firm grip on workpieces for various operations, including cutting, drilling, and filing. Crafted with a heavy-duty 30,000 PSI cast iron body, this bench vise is robust and designed to withstand rigorous and consistent use.
Its machined spindle, handle, and guide rails provide smooth, dependable, and precise jaw movement. The jaw width is 6.5 inches, and it offers a maximum opening capacity of 5.5 inches, providing ample space to secure a wide range of workpiece sizes.
One of the standout features of the Wilton 11128BH is the built-in anvil work surface. This anvil is designed for shaping and bending metal, adding another layer of versatility to this tool. The vise also includes a 360-degree swivel base with double lockdowns to ensure stability during operation.
Features and Specifications
- Body Material: 30,000 PSI Cast Iron
- Jaw Width: 6.5 inches
- Maximum Opening: 5.5 inches
- Throat Depth: 3.5 inches
- Anvil Size: Approx. 3 x 3 inches
- Swivel: 360 degrees with double lockdowns
- Weight: 37 lbs
Pros & Cons:
- Durability: The heavy-duty 30,000 PSI cast iron body ensures robustness and longevity, even under rigorous use.
- Versatility: The built-in anvil and 360-degree swivel base provide a broad range of applications, from shaping metal to securing various-sized workpieces.
- Precision: The machined spindle, handle, and guide rails offer smooth, accurate jaw movement.
- Secure Lockdown: The double lockdowns on the swivel base ensure the vise stays stable and secure during operation.
- Lifetime Warranty: Wilton offers a lifetime warranty on this product, attesting to their confidence in its quality and durability.
- Weight: Weighing 37 lbs, the vise may be cumbersome to move or reposition frequently.
- Price: The Wilton 11128BH is at a higher price point compared to some other bench vises.
Comparison with Other Bench Vises
The Wilton 11128BH Bench Vise is comparable with other high-quality bench vises, such as the Yost LV-4 and the Tekton 54004.
The Yost LV-4 is lighter and less expensive, making it a more accessible choice for casual hobbyists. However, the Yost's cast iron body is less durable than the Wilton 11128BH's, and it doesn't offer the same level of precision or the built-in anvil work surface.
The Tekton 54004, similar to the Wilton, is made of 30,000 PSI cast iron and has a built-in anvil. However, it has a smaller jaw width and opening capacity, making it less versatile for larger workpieces. Its swivel base also lacks the double lockdown feature found on the Wilton 11128BH.
The Wilton 11128BH Bench Vise is a high-quality, versatile, and durable tool that offers excellent value despite its higher price point. Its robust design, precision, and built-in anvil work surface make it a fantastic choice for both professional and hobbyist workshops. Even though it's heavier and more expensive than some alternatives, its performance, versatility, and lifetime warranty justify the investment. If you need a reliable, long-lasting bench vise that won't let you down, the Wilton 11128BH is a superb choice.
In the end, the right bench vise for you depends on your specific needs and budget. If you require a lighter, less expensive vise for occasional use, the Yost LV-4 might be a good fit. If you need a strong, versatile, and precise tool for regular, varied tasks, the Wilton 11128BH Bench Vise could be your best bet. Always consider your individual needs when making a buying decision.